Thomas Keller's Bistro Steak
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over high heat on the stovetop. Add 1/8 inch of canola oil to the skillet and heat until hot.
- Add the steak and 1 teaspoon of butter to the skillet. Cook for 1 minute to brown.
- Flip and baste with butter. Add remaining butter and thyme to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes.
- Place in the oven and cook for 5 minutes.
- Place a round of compound butter on top of the steak and return to the oven till butter begins to melt.