As soon as we saw Jimmy Ho's pictures on his instagram of smoking one of our pork bellies, we knew that we needed the recipe. Jimmy Ho goes under the name The Smoking Ho and you can follow him as he explores all things Texas and BBQ on his blog.
The Smoking Ho's Smoked Pork Belly
What You Need
- Half Slab of Pork Belly If using a full slab, double the recipe
- 1/3 cup of a 2:1 coarse black pepper to salt ratio rub
- 1/2 cup of apple juice mixed with equal parts water
- Spray bottle
- Start with a half slab or full slab of pork belly. I would suggest splitting a full slab in half to get more rub on the meat and cut down on smoke time.
- Combine the salt and pepper to make your rub. Remember it'll be a 2:1 coarse black pepper to salt ratio. Apply the rub liberally on all sides of the pork.
- Place your pork belly in the smoker. Smoke it between 225-275°F.
- Smoke the belly until the internal temperature hits 203°F. This should take about an hour per pound depending on the temperature you are running your smoker. Meanwhile, spray the meat every 30 mins or so with equal parts apple juice and water.
- Remove the belly and let it rest for an hour.
- Slice and enjoy!