Don’t feel up to hosting Brazilian Steakhouse night with your picanha? No problem. Keep it simple by roasting it whole! The picanha is a rich, deeply flavored cut with an incredible fat cap which will render back into the roast as it cooks.
One picanha will feel a group of 4-6, and served cold and ultra thinly sliced makes an incredible roast beef sandwich.
For the marinade—
- ½ cup grapeseed or canola oil
- 3 tbsp cracked black pepper
- 3 tbsp finely minced garlic
- 1 tbsp each, chopped fresh herbs — thyme, oregano, rosemary, parsley
- 1 tsp chili flake
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Juice and zest of one lemon
Begin by scoring the fat on top of the roast in a diamond pattern, then liberally seasoning with kosher salt.
Coat the roast in the marinade, reserving some for serving later, and let temper for an hour.
- Heat your oven to 425 and get the roast on a sheet tray or roasting pan, ideally with a rack.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes for an internal temp of 125 for a juicy rare roast.
- Allow to rest for a full 15 minutes, then slice thin and serve with a drizzle of the remaining marinade.